Senior Laboratory Mechanician - Los Angeles, California
University of California Los Angeles
Senior Laboratory Mechanician
University of California Los Angeles
Organization: Physics & Astronomy
Perform mechanical work involving design, fabrication, assembly, modification and maintenance or repair of specialized equipment and/or precision instruments, I.E. lathe, vertical mill, horizontal mill, drill press, grinders, saw, Computer Numerical Control (CNC) and Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM). The incumbent should have strong technical skills and expertise in mechanical engineering with the ability to suggest, develop and conceptualize significant contributions to projects in order to increase the characteristics and properties of materials involving corrosion, expansion and contraction, yield strengths, compatibility, and thermal transfer. The incumbent should have knowledge in managing systems and equipment in the areas of electrical power, mechanical apparatus, ultra-high vacuum, magnetic, computer interfaces, and computer analysis and programming. The ability to work from rough drawings, sketches, and/or oral instructions to assist in the design of equipment and produce professional quality drawings/CAD models of fabricated pieces and the ability to communicate with vendors using technical language is preferred. Weld or solder a variety of components including high vacuum systems.
Applicants must submit their qualifications via UCLA's Career Opportunities website at http://apptrkr.com/943840. Reference position # 25012. AA/EEO
• Ability to safely operate a variety of machine tools normally associated with a machine shop such as lathe, vertical mill, horizontal mill, drill press, grinders and saw, Computer Numerical Control (CNC), and Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM).
• Ability to work from rough drawings, read prints, sketches and follow verbal instructions.
• Ability to read and understand instruction manuals, machine shop safety practices and lab safety handbooks.
• Working knowledge of different types of materials and proper methods of fabrication for each.
• Knowledge of OSHA safety standards and ability to follow Physics Machine shop safety rules.
• Skill in use of a wide variety of welding equipment to produce devices, such as high vacuum systems.
• Ability to assist in the design of equipment and produce professional quality drawings/CAD models of fabricated pieces.
• Ability to suggest, develop, and conceptualize significant contributions to projects in order to increase the characteristics and properties of materials involving corrosion, expansion and contraction, yield strengths, compatibility, and thermal transfer.
UCLA offers a comprehensive benefits package, including an average of three weeks' vacation per year; an average of 12 days per year sick leave; 13 paid holidays per year; health, dental and optical benefits; life insurance; disability insurance; the University of California Retirement Plan with 5 year vesting and various voluntary UC Savings Plans. There are also special programs and privileges available, such as accessibility to cultural and recreational programs, athletic events, and the University Credit Union.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy - http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct Primary Skills: The complete listing of qualifications is available on UCLA's official job posting. Salary: Between - Experience Required: Experienced, years minimum Clearance Level: 0 Travel: %
Reference Code: Email: Map to this job:
Be sure to tell University of California Los Angeles that you saw this ad on Engineer.net™!